Everyone needs to make sure that your catheter is operating correctly as to not get an infection or skin irritation. make sure to throughly clean the tube and area of contact on your body—making the catheter part of your everyday routine and skincare. You should also check with your health care provider if, with the catheter in place, you should can a shower.
How do I get my urinary catheter clean?
You need to gently wash your penis and the whole catheter tube two times a day with soap and warm water. This should be done daily, in the morning and before you go to bed at night. Don’t take a bath in the tub while your catheter is in place. Keeping the penis and the catheter clean is necessary so that you do not get an infection.
- When you shower, use mild or lukewarm water. Not cold or hot water.
- Carefully wash the penis and the catheter tubing. Be careful not to pull the tubing or tug on it.
Cleaning the catheter and skin out of the tub.
- Gather all the stuff you need to clean the catheter and your skin.
- Hot water in a tub, soap, washcloth, and hand towel.
- Waterproof pad.
- Clean your hands before and after washing the skin and the catheter, using warm water and soap.
- Get your catheter washed.
- To prevent it from being pulled when washing, hold the end of the catheter vent. Clean carefully around the catheter where it makes contact with the skin.
- Clean the skin around the catheter.
- To gently wash the genital region using a clean washcloth, warm water, and soap. Clean, beginning at the tip of your penis and going down towards your anus (rear end) in a circle-like motion. This helps prevent germs from being passed into your urethra from your anus.
- Finally, always wash the area around your anus. Put the wash cloth into the laundry, and do not use it again. With a clean towel, rinse and pat dry your genital region and catheter.
How do I get my urinary collection bags cleaned?
Just like washing your catheter tubing and penis every day is vital to lower your risk of having an infection, it is essential to clean your urine collection bag after each use. It is best to clean the bag with soap and warm water after changing your urine collection bag.
To make the bag for collecting urine as clean as possible, you can use:
- White (distilled) vinegar and water mixture. Do not use yellow (apple cider) vinegar. Mix 1 1⁄4 cup white vinegar and 2 quarts of water together. With this remedy, clean the bag well.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of bleach with the solution and 1⁄2 cup of water. In the drainage bag, pour the bleach solution into it. With this remedy, clean the bag well.
- Empty the bag after you have disinfected the bag. Do not use water to clean the container. Hang the bag upside down, and let it air dry. If the bag is dry, you can store it, ready for use, in a clean plastic bag. You can use the leg and night drainage bags for up to a month and then obtain some new bags.
- Speak with your doctor or health care team about how to get new urine collection bags.